This blog post was written by SAC member Carly Bolton
As we approach Memorial Day, it's important to remember and appreciate the sacrifices made by our veterans in service to our country. Many companies and organizations offer discounts and special deals to show their gratitude and support for active-duty military and veterans. In this blog post, we'll provide you with an updated list of some of the best websites and resources for finding deals and discounts specifically for the military community.
Here are some of the most informative and trustworthy websites to visit and explore the benefits available to you.
- Military.com: This is a well-established website that offers a comprehensive list of military discounts, including discounts on travel, shopping, and entertainment. They also provide resources and information on military benefits, education, and jobs.
- Veterans Advantage: This membership program offers exclusive discounts and benefits for veterans, active duty military, and their families. Benefits include travel, insurance, shopping, and lifestyle deals.
- Veterans Affairs: If you're serving on active duty in the United States uniformed services, including active National Guard and Reserve with federal pay, you may be eligible for VA benefits both during service and after separation or retirement. This website provides information on how to access the VA benefits you've earned.
- GovX: This website offers discounts to current and former military members, first responders, and government employees. They offer deals on everything from outdoor gear to electronics and travel.
After searching the internet and finding many deals and discounts offered by companies to honor the brave people who have served our country, here are our personal favorite deals that are sure to make your wallet happy.
- Amtrak: Veterans and their families can receive a 10% discount on rail fares. This discount is valid for travel on most Amtrak trains, including the Auto Train, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, and more. To receive the discount, you must provide proof of veteran status, such as a Department of Defense identification card or a Veterans Affairs Healthcare identification card.
- Apple: Active-duty military and veterans can receive special pricing and discounts on Apple products and services. This includes up to 10% off select Apple products, as well as free engraving on eligible products. To receive the discount, you must verify your military status through the Apple website or in an Apple Store.
- Costco: Veterans and their families can sign up for an exclusive military membership with special offers and savings. This membership includes a $20 Costco Shop Card for new members, as well as other benefits such as free household cards for dependents, exclusive coupons, and access to Costco Travel. To sign up for this membership, you must provide proof of military status, such as a military identification card or a DD Form 214.
- Goodyear Auto Service and Just Tires offer a 10% discount on tires and services for U.S. military and first responders from November 10 to 14. They also provide a free car care check for veterans, which includes a tire, brake, and battery check. This offer is valid for active or retired U.S. military personnel, along with police, fire, and paramedic first responders who present a valid ID.
- Lowe’s provides a year-round military discount of 10%, with no limit to how much can be redeemed. To take advantage of the discount, you need to enroll online. Additionally, Lowe's will donate $1 to nonprofit partner Building Home for Heroes for every purchase made on Veterans Day, up to $50,000.
- National Parks: Veterans and Gold Star Families can receive a free annual pass to national parks and other federal recreation sites. This pass provides free entrance to over 2,000 federal recreation sites, including national parks, national wildlife refuges, and national forests. To receive the pass, you must provide proof of veteran status or Gold Star Family status, such as a Department of Defense identification card or a Veterans Affairs Healthcare identification card.
- The Home Depot provides a 10% discount to all active duty personnel and veterans on select national holidays, including Veterans Day. The discount is storewide and can be redeemed for up to $400 in discounts annually. To be eligible for the purchase, you need to provide active military ID while creating your Home Depot account.
- Verizon: Active-duty military and veterans can receive discounts on wireless plans and services. This includes a 15% discount on monthly plans and a 25% discount on select accessories. To receive the discount, you must verify your military status through the Verizon website or in a Verizon store.