Get involved and give back on #GivingTuesday, a worldwide campaign to inspire donations of time, expertise, money, food, clothing, and kindness on Tuesday, November 27, 2018, and beyond.
What is GivingTuesday? #GivingTuesday is celebrated annually on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving and kicks off the end-of-year giving season for individuals, communities and organizations around the world. #GivingTuesday was founded in 2012 by the 92nd Street Y, a cultural center in New York City, and it endeavors to inspire and connect diverse groups around the globe to unite for one common purpose; to celebrate and encourage giving money, time, and services.HUECU gives year-round. As a not-for-profit financial cooperative, we exist to help members and give back to our communities, not stockholders. In 2018 alone, we donated to broad range of community centers and programs:
- We sponsored four teams running the 2018 Boston Marathon to raise funds for important initiatives ranging from advancing cancer research and pediatric care, to addressing homelessness and accessible education.
- We awarded $5,000 in college scholarships to high school seniors.
- We donated to the Summer Urban Program, one of over 80 student-run programs of the Phillips Brooks Housing Association at Harvard College, so over 1,000 local kids could attend a student-run summer camp sponsored by HUECU.
- Our employees raced the B.A.A. 10K for the Stepping Strong Center at Brigham and Women's Hospital where innovative researchers are discovering the future of trauma care.
- We wore pink throughout October to increase awareness and raise funds for the Hoffman Breast Center at Mount Auburn Hospital.
- We provided dozens of free financial education seminars to hundreds of people throughout our community, regardless of credit union membership, with the goal of improving their understanding of personal finance, so they can meet their financial goals at every stage of life.
- …and so much more. You can stay current via our blog, or by following us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
One of the best ways to get involved is to find a reputable non-profit within your community and find out specifically what they need, as needs can change dramatically depending on the time of year and what other donors are giving. Some of our favorite non-profits include:
- Cambridge Camping
- Fenway Community Development Corporation
- Food For Free
- Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless
- Philips Brooks House Association
- Somerville Homeless Coalition
Don’t have cash to donate on #GivingTuesday? Consider planning ahead for next year by setting up a special savings account to create your personal #GivingTuesday fund. Using direct deposit, it is possible to automate your deposit directly into your fund. If you schedule the deposit before you receive your paycheck, your #GivingTuesday fund money never mixes with your spending money, making it easier for your fund to grow. Starting with a small deposit amount will increase your chances of successfully savings for next year! Other alternatives to cash gifts include donating your time, expertise, food, clothing, and kindness. Lastly, encourage others to donate. Host a fundraiser or simply share this message with your coworkers, family, and friends.
The credit union movement is built on the philosophy of people helping people. We’re proud to support #GivingTuesday on November 27, 2018 and all year long.