The holiday season is upon us and many of us now search the world wide web for the best deals and gifts for our loved ones. If you are shopping online this Cyber Monday or the rest of the holiday shopping season, here are 5 quick tips to keep your identification safe:
- Always initiate the transaction yourself. Do not open a store’s website through a received email. Physically type in the web address of the outlet and look around carefully to make sure it is the actual website.
- When entering credit card information as part of a transaction, make sure the web address starts with a secure extension, shown as https://.
- If you shop online in a public location, like at a library, make sure you log out and click the “back” button, when you are finished with a shopping session.
- Shopping at the coffee house? Use their approved, secure Wi-Fi server.
- Use your credit card wisely when shopping online. The added convenience of shopping from your couch might cause you to drop your guard. Be aware of your online surroundings at all times.
Identity theft is more common than you may think. However, you can take simple actions to protect yourself. Looking for more information to keep your identification safe? HUECU recently hosted an “Understanding the Ins and Outs Credit and Cyber Security” webinar for our community of members. View the pre-recorded webinar and our list of helpful resources.